Inspired by GFWC International's long history of supporting literacy, the GFWC-Morristown worked with Maricopa County Library District (MCLD) and the Morristown Elementary School District Board to open a free public library in the school's “Old Main” building.
In partnership with MCLD, "Morristown Volunteer Library" hosts an 8-week Summer Reading Program which includes 4 weeks of story times plus 3 professional performances for children.
The library has a collection of approximately 3,000+ books and media. Over 600 adult and children's books are refreshed quarterly with 90% of the books provided by the Maricopa County Library District and the Phoenix Public Library Friends group. GFWC funds the purchase of the remaining 10%. The collection includes current best sellers and a sizable Large Type collection. The children’s room has inviting furniture and rugs with lots of beautiful picture books, chapter books and non-fiction.
All library staff are volunteers and include retired professional librarians.
June through August: Tuesday, 12 - 2 and 4 - 6 PM
September through May: Tuesday, 3 - 5 PM and Thursday, 3 - 5:30 PM
Location: 25950 W Rockaway Hills Drive, Morristown
For more information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can help keep our free library open: Volunteer or help fund the purchase of additional books.
Tuesday, June 13, 10:30 a.m. - 12 noon: Hatha Yoga for Teens with Music of the Tibetan Bowl.
For ages 12 - 19. Bring floor mats or towels.Melanie Albert, registered Yoga Teacher with Yoga Alliance, will lead the class in the Old Main building of Morristown School. Class size limited to 20. For teens not in Morristown's Summer School, call Linda de Berge 602-509-1012 to register.
Tuesday, June 20, 10:30 a.m. - 12 noon: Drawing from Observation with Rachael Bess.
For ages 12 - 19. Class size limited to 20 and will be held in the Old Main building of Morristown School. For teens not in Morristown's Summer School, call Linda de Berge 602-509-1012 to register.
Tuesday, July 11, 10:30 a.m. - 12 noon: Mark Carter Science
Back by popular demand, Mark Carter makes science fun! He will focus on the repelling and attractive force of magnets and magnetism using ceramic, neodymium and electro magnets. Program will be held in the Old Main Building of Morristown School. No registration required - all ages are welcome.
Tuesday, July 18, 10:30 a.m. - 12 noon: Hug-a-Tree and Survive!
Nancy Holihan will tell participants how to survive if lost in the desert or anywhere. Program includes a video presentation, practical suggestions and demonstrations. Participants will receive a basic survival kit.
Program will be held in the multi-purpose room of Morristown School. No registration required - all ages are welcome.
Digeridoo lessons for 2014 summer reading program attendees.